SHP Chapbook Competition
Send entries to:
The Hudson Valley Writers’ Center, Slapering Hol Press Chapbook Contest, 300 Riverside Drive, Sleepy Hollow, New York 10591
SLAPERING HOL PRESS
Chapbook Competition Guidelines
- The Slapering Hol Press (SHP) Chapbook Competition is open to all writers who have not yet published a collection of poems in book or chapbook form.
- Individual poems can be previously published, but poems should not have been published as a group in any form, including self-published collections.
- Manuscripts can either be a collection of poems or one long poem and should be a minimum of sixteen and a maximum of twenty pages (not including title page, table of contents, or cover sheet).
- All poems should be single spaced and printed in twelve point type. No more than one poem should appear on a page.
- For those who submit using on-line Submittable (https://hudsonvalleywriterscenter.submittable.com/submit/53735), the author’s name should appear nowhere in the file or in the file name, which should be the title of the manuscript. Your Submittable profile will include your name, address, phone number, email, and in place of the cover letter, an acknowledgments page, which must include the manuscript title. The acknowledgments page should not be included in the manuscript itself.
- Please name your file as the manuscript title. If your title is long, please use the first four words of the file name, or however many words fit on the allotted line.
- For those submitting hard copies, please include two title pages, one with contact information, including title, author’s name, address, telephone number, and email address. The second title page should be the title alone without contact information.
- Manuscripts may be under consideration elsewhere, but please inform SHP immediately if a collection is accepted for publication. Entry fees will not be refunded for manuscript withdrawal.
- Each manuscript should be accompanied by a $15 reading fee. Please make checks payable to The Hudson Valley Writers’ Center.
- The reading period for the competition begins on February 15. Entries must be postmarked by June 15. (Extended from May 15th this year.) Submissions will only be considered if received between those dates.
The winner receives a $1000 cash award, publication, ten copies, and a reading at The Hudson Valley Writers’ Center, plus travel expenses up to $500. Winning poets are also offered editorial and marketing advice. SHP editors use an anonymous judging system and subscribe to the CLMP contest code of ethics.