Philipse Manor Railroad Station
A former train station building is the headquarters, performance space, and classroom for the Hudson Valley Writers Center. In 1996, the board of directors and staff of the Center completed restoration of the station building, which is listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places.
The Preservation League of New York State selected the Hudson Valley Writers Center to receive its prestigious Excellence in Preservation Award for the restoration in 2005.
Many generous donors contributed to the building restoration including poet Linda Ashear, whose funding made it possible complete some of the most recent preservation.
Following is an excerpt from the April 2001 edition of The Chronicle, a publication of the Historical Society Serving Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown.
As early as 1903 the Philipse Manor Company was holding discussions with the railroad about constructing a station on the Hudson River Railroad line in the Manor. In fact, a 1903 company pamphlet depicts an artist's rendition of the proposed station. Detailed site drawings were first created in 1910 and by January 1, 1911 the New York Herald reported that the station and its approaches were under construction. The Company deeded six small parcels of land near the tracks and gave the New York City and Hudson River Railroad a perpetual right of way along the tracks. With the same spirit of cooperation between the railroad and the Company, the station was completed costing several hundred thousand dollars. It was reported in 1913 that, "In token of this cooperation the great bronze eagle from the tower of the old Grand Central Station has been established on the riverfront esplanade.
→ Read more about the history of the Hudson Valley Writers Center here.