The Fine Print
- If HVWC needs to cancel a class, participants have the option of receiving a 100% refund of tuition, or a credit, or reassignment of registration to another class or program.
- If HVWC needs to cancel an individual class session, a make-up session will be scheduled. Every effort is made to schedule these sessions immediately after the end of the scheduled term on the same day and time. If a student is unable to attend the make-up class, a credit for the missed session can be issued. Requests for credit must be made to the office in person, by phone, or by email at least one business day prior to the make-up session.
As a general rule, if bad weather causes the Tarrytown schools to close, HVWC will also be closed. Please check the website or call the office (914.332.5953) after 8 a.m. in the day of your class to find out if the Center is open. If the need to close arises after we have opened for business, we will contact students via phone and email.
Student Payments & Withdrawals/Refunds
- All classes must be paid in full by the first day of class.
- Official notification of a student’s need to withdraw from a class and all requests for refunds or credits must be made to the HVWC office. Official notification may be made in person, by phone, or by email.
- Telling the instructor or failure to attend classes does not constitute official withdrawal. Failure to attend classes is not a basis for refunds; in some circumstances, and at the discretion of HVWC, a credit may be issued.
- A 100% tuition refund or credit will be issued when a student withdraws (via email) from a class no less than five business days (Monday-Friday excluding major holidays) before the first day of class. If there is a medical emergency after the five day cut-off, a 100% refund or credit will be issued with a doctor’s letter to the HVWC office.
- If a student withdraws after the first class, a 75% refund or credit will be issued. Official notification must be made at least 48 hours (Monday-Friday excluding major holidays) before the second class.
- No refunds or credits will be issued after the second class.
- Credits are valid for one year from date of issue and cannot be extended or changed into refunds.
Pro-rating of a course is not allowed. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis. Summer courses may offer this option as per the teacher’s discretion.
Except as noted otherwise, adults age 18 and up are eligible to enroll in Workshops and Intensives.
Code of Conduct
- HVWC strives for an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect.
- HVWC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, disability, socioeconomic status, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, or marital status.
- HVWC reserves the right to remove any student at our discretion. If a problem arises, students should alert the instructor. If the problem cannot be resolved in the classroom, instructors should alert the staff. All reports are kept confidential.
In an effort to provide an enjoyable, effective, safe and secure environment for all of our patrons, students, and employees, everyone is expected to conduct themselves in a manner that respects others and does not impede, endanger, bully or harass anyone partaking in programs, classes, or services offered by the Hudson Valley Writers Center.
HVWC expects everyone to conduct himself/herself, whether adult or child, in a manner that is in keeping with his/her level of development, maturity, and demonstrated capabilities with a proper regard for the rights and welfare of anyone everyone in the HVWC community.
HVWC reserves the right and has sole discretion to expel or suspend anyone from his/her class, membership, or other HVWC programs if it is deemed that his/her actions have violated the HVWC Code of Conduct.